"Good Grief: Is there a better way to be bereaved?"

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Postby Robin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 pm

A former support group member emailed me a link to a February "New Yorker" article on grief. It provides background on Kubler-Ross's "stage theory" of grief and explains how "reality can be far messier and tenacious." This is a good summary of what we know (and don't know) about grief.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/a ... ge_orourke

The New Yorker
A Critic at Large
February 1, 2010

Good Grief
Is there a better way to be bereaved?

by Meghan O'Rourke
Robin

Postby MCS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Thank you for posting this article on grieving, Robin. It is an excellent read, and I am glad I came across it. Perhaps it shouldn't be contained to the Grief Support section, where not all may find it, but be copied over to General Discussion for a wider audience.

I know I started grieving for my husband almost immediately after we received the PSP diagnosis three years ago. For me, it has been an almost classic mirror experience of Kubler-Ross's five stages. For those who are not familiar with Kubler-Ross's On Death and Dying, the stages Kubler-Ross identified are:

1. Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
2. Anger (why is this happening to me?)
3. Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
4. Depression (I don't care anymore)
5. Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

Perhaps some of those who have lost their loved PWPSP could continue to minister to those of us still grappling with this strange and surreal experience of grieving for someone still living.

Best regards,
Emmie
Husband diagnosed with FTD 11/2006; with PSP (Richardson's) 10/2007. Onset perhaps as early as 2002.
MCS

Postby Robin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Emmie,
Thanks for your comment. Curiously, I posted that article elsewhere and someone noted that it was strange to always read articles on grief tied to a loved one's death. I will post to the PSP Forum now some good articles on anticipatory grief.
Robin
Robin

Return to Grief Support