Our Christmas's

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Our Christmas's

Postby Crazy Mary » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 am

I was thinking about the first Christmas with Bruce. We weren't really a couple yet. He was having a hard time his ex had left and cleaned the bank accounts out and left him with the boys. He had no real food in the house. The girls had decided to spend Christmas with their Dad,so I had some time on my hands.
I went to the local butcher shop and got some meat and things for the fridge. Then when he told me he didn't feel up to a tree I got a string of lights and made an outline of a tree on the wall. It wasn't much but atleast it was something.
The next Christmas we were all together and though I didn't think the kids would remember it as being special,they did. We had kinda hid our relationship from the kids for awhile because they were going through so much and didn't want to cause them any unneeded confusion or stress.
What surprised me was that when asked about their Christmas memories they remembered that Christmas when we were all together for the first time.
Now I cherish all those memories and even though we didn't have alot they were so special and loving. I definitely could never forget our granddaughter Madi sneaking him the chocolate covered cheeries. The two of them worked so well together.
I miss him with all my heart,and can't wait until we are together again. I miss my best friend. But he would have been proud this Christmas. The family gathered all of girls at mom and dads with our kids. Dad says this is his last Christmas so we all gave gifts that we made or that we knew were meaningful to that person. While dad in his wisdom had talks with all the older grandchildren. The greatgrandchildren were having a time and he was enjoying them as much as he could. We only had one mia because of sickness. Even Mark made it in and he and his girlfriend were there.
It was bittersweet yet wonderful to see everyone together for the first time sense Bruce has been gone.
Mark and I later made some eggnog which Bruce always referred to as Christmas milk and made a toast to him and sent our love his way. By the way I personally don't much like eggnog so I doctored mine.
I'd been down and ended up in the hospital the week before. Bruce's buddy and his wife showed with a tree when I came home. It was a little three foot tree but it decorated up to be one of the nicest trees we have ever had the tree topper was an ornament with a picture of Bruce.
I can't thank them more they could never know how much that little tree helped to make our Christmas.
Well I guess I've gone on enough,
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

christmas

Postby ruthkri » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:03 pm

Dear Mary, I too had a special Christmas. I feel thar the blessings this Christmas were overwhelming and came to let me know that although my darling Bud wasn't hereI still has so much to be thankful for. Started out with a wonderful dinner at our Pastor's home ( son and family had gone to West Bend Wisconsin to see my Daughter-in-laws Mom in a nursing home= were to come back on the 27th to celebrate my birthday) On Saturday Darrell called and said he was home because he had to go to work early Monday morning and didn't want to deal with thr drive- way then. He said he would pick me up and take me to Church and then we would go out for brunch. As we walked into Church someone put their arm around me and it was my son Jody from Dallas. What a surprise and for the next three days it was none stop. Out to lunch and dinner every day amd even went to a picture show, On my birthday all my other childten called from Texas abd Ca. One of Bud's sons called so you can know why I felt that this was such a special Christmas and my sadness was covered with joy and new memories to add also. So Mary dear, we still grieve but surrounded with love. Happy New Year Love Ruth
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby Crazy Mary » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Ruth,
It is nice to hear from you. I am so glad your son came in. It does make a difference. I still haven't taken the tree down but will soon. Jenny has been back in the hospital with bad Crohn's problems. They are trying avoid surgery but she is suffering so. I'm making myself available to them right now so the little things can wait.
I hope your New Year is a good one as well.
God bless you Ruth for being so kind.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Return to Grief Support