My mother got her angel wings December 7th 2008

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

My mother got her angel wings December 7th 2008

Postby tony111b » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:51 am

hi all i just joined this society,
1st of all I'm a 18 year old boy and finding it all hard to cope with, my mother has had PSP since 2004, in the last 6 months shes lost her speech, movement, and now she cant seem to open her mouth to eat, its all two much for me and my dad as we try our hardest to make her quality of life better, i cry most nights thinking of her and its now starting to interfere with my studies as I'm missing collage a lot. when my mom got this terrible disease i taught she was the only person on the world with it and felt my hole life crumble before my eyes, all i think about is my mother not seeing my kids seeing me graduate from collage and growing into a man. can any1 please give me some advice and comfort and let me know if there is worse to come..
Last edited by tony111b on Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony111b

Postby bonnie_b » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Tony,

Your post broke my heart. You are so young to be dealing with this. I can remember all of those same feelings with my mom. She passed away in May. The only advice I can give you is to try to take each day as it comes. You obviously are a very loving son and that comes from having loving parents. Even though it is hard to think about much other when our mom's or dad's are sick it is important that you look after yourself, your mom would want that. Try not to think to far ahead, concentrate on the now and try to enjoy the time that you have with your mom. Even though this disease is wreaking havoc with her body, she is still very much here with you. Talk to her, and give her lots of hugs and love, and most of all don't ever think you are alone in dealing with this disease. There are many people here that have felt all of the same feelings as you and there is always someone here to offer advice or support. I hope you post often. I know it helped me when my mom was first diagnosed. I don't think I would have gotten through it without the people here. They are easy to talk to because they have been there and done that. I wish you and your mom and dad the very best and you will be in my prayers.

Bonnie
bonnie_b

Postby momppsp » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 pm

Tony: What a loving son you are and way too young to deal with this. Bonnie said it all, you are not alone. It is the most horrible disease and no one deserves it. I had a hard time losing my Mother and felt like you, not wanting to continue, losing sleep, not going on with life, until my sister said, Mom and Dad(lost him 4 years ago) would want us to do what we have to do.
Can your Mom communicate by talking at all? We all have to use the thumbs up and down for yes and no. If she can do this, ask her if she wants to eat or can you tell already?
I know most here have called hospice in. If your Mom doesn't, it's time to call them to help.
You might want to repost your post here under the general discussion section where there is more response. this section is for members that have already lost loved ones and not everyone checks this section out. I know there are several people here that check the general discussion area that know a lot about hospice and can guide you.

Tell your Dad about this site and ask him to join in with you.We welcome you with open arms.
We all send you big hugs.
Deborah-Mom w/PSP symp 9yrs+-diag. 6/04
received her wings January 10, 2008
momppsp

Postby LRS » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Tony,
I am so sorry that your mom has this disease and that you as such a young man have to deal with this. I know you would want us to be honest with you Tony, so I will say, its not easy, but, you will make it through. Always keep in your mind what your mother would want to say and to do if she could. Try to let her make decisions, if and for as long as she can, even small decisions as to what to watch on tv can be very important for people with this disease. They feel they don't have any control over their own lives anymore, so any little things we can do to help them, it's a really good thing. When my mom got to the stage of not being able to talk, we used the thumbs up and down for yes and no. When she still had fairly good movement of her hands, we made a letterboard for her, I printed, in caps, the alphabet, I made the letters big enough that she could see them good, and spaced them far enough apart that she would have no problems pointing to them, for awhile this worked for us. It took a bit for her to point out letters and for us to figure out what she was trying to spell, but with patience, we all did it. My moms disease progressed very rapidly, so nothing lasted very long for us. Tony, just love your mom, be patient, as this disease can be so hard and frustrating for us caregivers too. You and your dad just do the best you can do for her, that's all any of us could ask of our loved ones. There won't always be a clear cut answer with this disease. Always go with your heart. I suggest hospice too, they were a godsend to us. We no longer had to try to get mom out of the house for doctors,etc. It was too dangerous for her, and they not only provided medical help, but they have councelors, and many who can help the family through this journey. And, lastly, but certainly not least, if you know the Lord Jesus Christ as you savior (I pray you do), then pray and give Him these worries. It was the Lord who helped me through this. I give Him all the credit, praise and thanks. He'll be there for you too.
God Bless
*Mom, Jean, 72, symptoms of PSP since 9/07, diagnosis of possible PSP 2/08, met her Savior 9/15/08.*
LRS

She got her angel wings

Postby tony111b » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:52 am

hi to all i just lost my mother dis morning, she died peacefully in her bed at home during the night, she looked so peaceful and now I'm at peace for myself knowing that she will no longer suffer inside the trapped body. I love her so much.

Anthony
My Beautiful Caring mother was diagnosed with PSP in 2004 She Recieved her angel wings on the 7th of December 2008
tony111b

Return to Grief Support