Itching

This topic is for information and sharing exchanges between PSP and CBD patients.

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Itching

Postby UncleWigley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 pm

I have had the privilege the last year to live and help with my grandparents (Grandpa was diagnosed with CBD in Fall of 2011 and has been going down hill recently). One thing we have noticed that is baffling us is itching. His itching has been horrible (for him, not being able to releave it and us keeping him from scratching himself so he bleeds). He has been to dermatologist that find nothing wrong with his skin. We can only conclude that the itching is part of CBD. Has anyone else had experience with itching going along with the disease? It seems to itch worst on his alien limb (right arm) which adds to our speculation that it is part of the disease.
UncleWigley

Re: Itching

Postby Robin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

This section of the forum is for patients only. So you might not get many replies. I suggest you post under "General Discussion."

I've heard of seborrheic dermatitis in atypical parkinsonism disorders, like CBD, but not so much about itching on the limbs. I vaguely recall that my dad did have a patch on his arm that he itched for awhile but we got a topical steroid that took care of the problem quickly.

Does Eucerin cream help at all? Could this be the side effect of a medication? I once had a reaction to an antihistamine and my entire body was itchy.
Robin

Re: Itching

Postby eplowman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There was an extensive and helpful discussion of this very issue a few years ago. Enter this URL into your browser, and it will land you at the exact forum discussion:

http://forum.curepsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1100&p=28320#p28320

Good luck. And if you experiment and get some good results, please tell us your experience.

I hasten to add that a fungus "infection" can cause such symptoms too. If nothing you try works, ask his doctor about trying a prescription for Nystatin. The small pills are relatively inexpensive.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Return to For PSP/CBD Patients Only