Glutathione and/or NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine)

This topic is for information and sharing exchanges between PSP and CBD patients.

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Glutathione and/or NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine)

Postby BettyCarol » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:21 am

Has anyone had any success with glutathione IV's? If so, how long does the effect last? With continued IV's do the symptoms continue to decrease?

How about success reducing symptoms by taking NAC to boost glutathione levels instead of glutathione IV's? If so, what dosage did you use?

My husband, first diagnosed with PD June 2006, even though his most prevalent symptom was falling, got a PSP diagnosis about a year and a half ago. Our neurologist and I had long suspected PSP but did not want to discourage my husband when the doctor knew of no medicines to help.

Brian now has great difficultly with balance, vision, and speech. Our family doctor is trying glutathione infusions, three per week. So far Brian had three, and today we saw a bit of improvement in his speech, so our doctor is looking into NAC as a way to boost glutathione orally, as oral glutathione has not been shown to be effective.

Betty
BettyCarol

Postby Robin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:23 am

One of our local support group members visited Florida several years ago and saw the center down there that does all the glutiathione promotion and hyperbaric oxygen chamber promotion. An RN at the center said that neither treatment was effective in PSP.

I think there's something on the National Parkinson Foundation website (parkinson.org) about there being no evidence that supports the use of glutathione in PD.

Anything about NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) would probably be anecdotal as well. You could check PubMed to see if anything has been published on NAC and any neurodegenerative disorder.
Robin

Postby Robin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 pm

P.S. This area of the PSP Forum is intended for those who are *patients* to communicate with other *patients.* Your post would be just fine in the General Discussion area.
Robin

Postby BettyCarol » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:02 am

Thanks. I was writing for my husband, who has great difficulty with typing, mostly because of his eyesight.
BettyCarol

Return to For PSP/CBD Patients Only