Flu Shot

This topic is for information and sharing exchanges between PSP and CBD patients.

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Flu Shot

Postby lorrainemcl » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Hello. I have PSP. I am wondering if PSP might be caused by the flu shot. If you have PSP, or are one's caregiver, please tell me if you/the one with PSP has ever had the flu shot. Thanks.
lorrainemcl

Postby Robin » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Seems like PSP began long before there were ever flu shots.
Robin

Postby eplowman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Loraine,

There is no evidence that immunogens (weakened or dead pathogenic cells injected in order to stimulate the production of antibodies) cause PSP. Millions of people get flu shots every year. Millions do not get PSP or other neuro diseases afterward.

The latest and strongest research suggests that PSP is linked to certain genetic changes (or mutations of genes). Genetic changes are responsible for many diseases and ailments, not just PSP and other neurological disorders. Some scientists believe there could be some "trigger" that activates the altered gene(s) at some point to launch their abnormal work. So far, no such "trigger" has been identified in PSP.

I hope you can encourage some of your closest family members to join the forum, browse through many of the topics that catch their interest (especially those in the General Discussion area of the forum), and learn as much as they can, not only about PSP, but also how to care best for their loved one who has it.

Let them know we are here to help in any way we know how.

Take care, and take steps to stay safe. Wishing you all the best,

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Return to For PSP/CBD Patients Only