CT of a Brain

This topic is for information and sharing exchanges between PSP and CBD patients.

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

CT of a Brain

Postby ula » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi,'My husband has been diagnosed with PSP recently. He is 78 and for almost two years he was treated for AD later for PD.
His Neuro MD says that he does't have anyy visible chenges in his brain.
I just heard that Abe Pollin in DC known filantropist has died with PSP and that the PSp can be diagnosed by CT of the brain with visible change.
I'd like to know what kind of changes?
Can somebody direct me to the info.
Thanks
I'm the caregiver /wife.
He can not speak, move , walk alone etc.
Ula
ula

Postby eplowman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:26 pm

ula,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

PSP and many other brain diseases can NOT be diagnosed with CT or MRI scans. These scans MAY be able to tell whether a brain has "shrunk," which can be the result of any number of conditions, including just plain old aging.

As of now, autopsy of the brain is the only way to confirm with certainty whether a patient had PSP, CBD, or certain other neurological diseases. Abe Pollin initially had a clinical diagnosis of PSP, which more recently was changed to CBD. A clinical diagnosis essentially is a physician's "best guess," based primarily on the array of symptoms and their progress. I hope Abe's brain was donated. If it was, there will be a definitive diagnosis, based on microscopic observation and analysis of the tissue sample.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby Robin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:24 am

A CT scan is useless.

Some types of MRI scans may be helpful in the sense that they can suggest certain diagnoses but, as Ed says, they are not definitive. For example, on the sagittal T1, the hummingbird sign is suggestive of PSP.

Abe Pollin's clinical diagnosis changed from PSP to CBD.
Robin

Return to For PSP/CBD Patients Only