Season's greetings, everyone

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Season's greetings, everyone

Postby eplowman » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Merry Christmas and/or Holiday Greetings to each of you!

This is such a special time of the year for many. Time to take a mental respite from the political and economic uncertainties and turmoil in so much of the world today, and to express thanks for all the gifts that have made a difference in our lives.

I live in a complex with a couple of hundred aging and elderly people, many with limitations and ailments. Most are singles or "single againers" (widowed, etc.), living alone, some dependent on visiting caregivers, and so on. It can be especially lonesome for them at this time of year.

So, it has been so wonderful to see students from the Middle School across the street "adopt" us as their honorary "grandparents" and put on programs for us in our community social hall and present small carefully crafted home-made presents to us, to have Girl Scouts greet us in the lobby with home-made cookies and cheery conversation, to have management host us at a Christmas luncheon in the community hall with delicious chicken, ham, and all the trimmings from a favorite local restaurant, to see relatives come and whisk away a frail or disabled loved one to spend Christmas week at home "with the family," to see church groups come in and host music-and-all services in the chapel, and more.

It's a joy to see gifts like these by caring others dispell the clouds and brighten the holiday season for many of my neighbors and me. We smile as we pass each other in the corridors and say "Merry Christmas!" For me, it's part of the meaning of Christmas.

I thank God for His many gifts and blessings throughout life, many of them delivered by my loved ones -- but also by others whose paths have crossed mine. Many of you can say the same thing about yourself, I'm sure.

So, Merry Christmas, and may all your days now and in the year ahead be bright with hope, joy, and peace.

And if you are caring for a loved one, give him or her a big hug and warm greeting!

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby Robin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Best wishes to you and your family for a very merry Christmas, Ed.
Robin

Return to The Back Porch