Seeking brain bank for CBD

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Seeking brain bank for CBD

Postby Katherine » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 pm

My dad has CBD and is degenerating rapidly.
I'm trying to handle some of the tough issues (so Mom doesn't have to) and how to deal with his brain is one of them.
Is there a resource on how the donation is made? Mom's worried about whether she can call the mortuary if he dies at home and similar things.
Help, please?
Thanks
Katherine

Postby Robin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm

The Mayo Jax PSP brain bank also has many CBD brains -- probably the largest # of CBD brains in the US. Are you in the US?

Normally, I would encourage you to check out the brain donation packet on psp.org. But the link to the brain donation packet on psp.org is currently broken. I noticed about a week ago (when the link was working) that the packet is incomplete (all the key forms are missing).

Brain donation typically costs families between $750 and $1500. A grant to cover *part* of the costs may be available from CurePSP. (Grants have been about $700.) You need to find someone to conduct the brain procurement, and ensure that your funeral home is cooperative. If you can handle that cost and you've selected (even tentatively) a funeral home, I can help you make the final arrangements. I've been doing this on a volunteer basis for some time.
Robin

Brain Donation

Postby jbacso » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Robin,

I was diagnosed with MSA in Dcember 2007. I too am interesed in brain donation but need help. We live in Mesquite, NV, about 80 miles north and east of Las Vegas, and about 40 miles south and west of St. George, UT.

We contacted Virgin Valley Mortuary, and they are willing to make arrangements, but he does not know who to contact, to make the arrangements. Specifically, one who can remove and freeze the brain to the temperature required, to have it transported to Mayo Jax. We have all of the forms and the mortuary contacted the two recommended sources, and they do not have the facilities to perform the freezing procedure required.

Can you help me find a company in a reasonable distance, that can meet these requirements?

Thank you,

Joan Bacso
Joanie B,
jbacso

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Joanie,
I'm happy to help you. Would you email me privately about this matter?
Thanks,
Robin
Robin

Return to The Back Porch