Porch Talk

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Porch Talk

Postby willru602 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Good Evening Porch Folks....I must say it's pretty cold on the South end of the porch tonight! Feels kinda like it might sleet or rain...I can sure understand why so many of you Yankees like to come South/Florida in winter...I don't think I could tolerate the snow and cold. I have to drive to N. Alabama next week and I'm just hoping it will be one of the nicer days!

Our oldest daughter has been staying with us since late October when she started having episodes of shock from her defibrillator. She was diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome in '06 two months after she'd had a hysterectomy. She had black out episodes in recovery with her heart and two months later went into cardiac arrest .. we almost lost her.

Her heart doctor has set her up with one of the top electrophysiologists in the nation to have a procedure called cardiac ablation. This doctor is in the nationwide 5% physicians in his speciality and 67% of these doctors are from Alabama! The procedure has a very high success rate and we are much encouraged that it will take place next Wednesday. She will be in the hospital over night providing all goes well. We will drive up to her daughter's on Tuesday in order to make the trip less stressful and enjoy some time with her and family.

I will be leaving hubby in good hands with our dear Jan who will spend the night here a couple of nights. Never the less, my thoughts will be torn between him and daughter...Youngest daughter will be here to assist if needed and I feel confident that all will be well.

Christmas is my favorite time of year and it has really slipped up on us this year with so much going on. Hubby has declined so much but I still think he has at least a few months. Our daughters are so wonderful to help out....God is sooooo good!

I should have some 'porch tales' later when we get this heart stuff behind...I'm so confident that the procedure is going to fix her problem that I'm indulging myself in a manicure and new hair do for the trip. I'll tell you about all that later though...the hair do, that is.

For now, I'll say goodnight and we covet your prayers for a safe trip, good traveling weather, and successful procedure. Thank you all for listening!

Love and God's Blessings to All
Ru
http://photobucket.com/albums/i76/willru602/
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
willru602

Postby Robin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 pm

Ru,
Hope all goes well next week.
Robin
Robin

porch talk

Postby ruthkri » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Dear Ru, What a great spirit you have . At this time of the year especially during Advent we must all be reminded of all our blessings and
you surely are one of the best examples of positive thinkings. My prayers, my hopes and my best wishes go out to you and yours. God Love And BlessYou Ruth Kri
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby willru602 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks Robin and Ruth for the encouraging words...I'm happy to report that I'm still able to roll on the interstate with the 'big dogs' (trucks) in nasty weather even if I do roll like a granny! We found our destination with little to no trouble.

Interestingly, we are going home with a brand new diagnosis! We came for an ablation on what the doctor called Purkinge potentials which set off the V-tack and V-fib...She left Emory three years ago with a diagnosis of Long QT's but her heart doctor in Dothan always referred to it as Vtack and Vfib...

Well...the plan was to inject adrenalin and set off an episode so that they would know what area to target for the ablation but the ECG showed 'different strokes' which even surprised the doctor, who is an absolute genius!

The new diagnosis is Brugada Syndrome which is also an electrolyte problem but is treated with different medications than what she was on. As a matter of fact, the meds she was taking can aggrevate her problem. So.....good news is, she did not need an ablation and she is off three of previous meds....she would have had to have a defibrillator had she not already had one...so, have to thank Emory for that. Bad news is, Brugada Syndrome is genetic and they started testing on that today. It will be 6 weeks before she will know results of that and then children and any family members may want to be tested for the gene in case symptoms arise.

We are still here because she was in recovery longer for no good reason and she should have been on medication much sooner but they didn't have it in recovery. Anyhow, he would have let her go late this evening near dark but when he learned how far we had to travel, he kept her another night. We will be leaving early in the morning.

For anyone who has ever used UAB, you know it's one of the best in the nation...It's our first time as a patient and I am very impressed with everything I've seen and experienced. Everyone so nice and helpful...clean, clean...and best of all....I'm thankful I can read...or I'd never find where I need to go...ha

Hubby is doing well but missing me I can tell...Daughter and son in law had Christmas party Tuesday night and provided food for next day. Church seniors (Young At Heart) group provided food for today
and daughter and son in law are having a seasonal sales promotion tomorrow where there
will be cookin going on at the business...so God has provided every day we've been gone. Like I said He's soooo good ...

It's going to be a long night but better than last night...thank you all for reading and Merry Christmas to all!
Ru
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31
willru602

Postby Crazy Mary » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:06 am

RU,I know I'm a little late on this but I am glad to hear they figured out what was going on with your daughter, It's hard when our children are sick in any way.
Hopefully they can control it with med. I hope yours and everyones elses Christmas's went well as could be. I hope you all have a good New Year.
Mary
wife of Bruce 54 years old diag.2003 symptoms since 2001. Freed of PSP on Aug. 19th 2008
Crazy Mary

Postby pearlmckee » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Sounds as thought your daughter is finally pointed in the right direction ... will pray that all goes well and she is restored to health.

Hugs,
Rita
Rita 4 Tom dx'd 2/05 sx for 5-6 years

Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
Booker T. Washington (1856-1915)
pearlmckee

porch talk

Postby ruthkri » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi Everyone, You all have a wonderful new year. I was not looking foward towards this season another year without my husband but God works in wonderful ways. It really snowed Christmas Eve day and I planned ro stay home since myson and his family were going to Wisconsin to see my daughter-in-law's Mom in a nursing home and planned to come back for my birthday Dec. 27th. I had been invited to our pastor's home for dinner but declined because of the weather. They called and said they were sendung their kids over to pick me up. So I did go after all. It was wonderful and I met his 92 year old Mother who also made my day. I was introduced and her son said this is your doctor's Mom. She grabbed my hand and kissed it and started to cry "You are the Mother of a Saint!" She is in a nursing home and he visits her there. I was really touched. Then the next day my son called and said he had come home early to clear his drive way because he had ro go baxk to work early Monday morning and didn't want to have to deal with it then. He said he would pick me up and take me to Church and then celebrate my Birthday. I bought it hook ,line and sinker. When we were walking into Church someone put arm around me and it was my son Jody from Dallas. I am so blessed. The next three days were non-stop. Out to breakfast, lunch and dinner. Saw a movie
"Up in The Air" which non of us really liked. Had a birthday party and opened gifts and broughy in hamburgers and watched the Cowboys Dallas
win and then the Vikings lose (bummer). What a surprise andlovely four
days I hadn't anticipated so I made some more great memories. Nice to write to you all with blessings instead problems. You all have a GREAT
NEW YEAR !!! Love Ruth
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby willru602 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Happy Birthday Ruth! Today is my daughter's birthday but we (she, other daughter and me) went out yesterday to celebrate since I could not go today.

Sounds like you had a nice Christmas Eve and few days in spite of the weather. No snow here but it's cold and seems like it rains about every other day. We've had lots of rain down south this winter.

Looking forward to a new beginning in the next year...and hope that you have and all our 'porch sitters' have a Happy New Year!

Love to All..
Ru
willru602

Return to The Back Porch