Message to Richard

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Message to Richard

Postby Jeff Hawkins » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Richard and Family,

In one of my rare visits to the forum I notice that you (or Alan) have not posted for some time. I hope this means that like me you have opted out for a while and not because a deterioration in your condition.

I'm still doing OK and at the last visit to the neurologist there was no change to my medicine and he doesn't need to see me for another nine months. I can still drive, walk the beach and watch the grandchildren play sport. I think I am rather fortunate in relation to many who have been hit by this disease (If having it can in any way be described as fortunate!)

In the middle of winter over here which in Auckland means the temperature is about 14 or 15 degrees celcius which is not cold by your standards. Was a beautiful day yesterday (Sunday) so Gwenda and I went for a cruise in our '79 Camaro Z28 to a little village, Puhoi about 30 kilometres north of Auckland and had a pleasant lunch at a country cafe. Then home via the coast stopping at Wenderhome Regional Park for a stroll down the beach and through the bush. Lovely day out. If you come over I'll take you there.

Take care.
Nohoia Kaha (Stay strong),

Jeff
Jeff Hawkins

Postby Richard1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi Jeff. I am doing fine now. I had another bout with pneumonia and had a difficult and lengthy recovery effort.. Much, much better now and have regained some strength. Fortunately, progression (other than pneumonia) has been slow. My vision has declined a bit more and have become more sensitive to light, preferring shades quite a bit more as of late. Went through BOTOX yesterday for dystonia and blepharospasm. In my particular case, BOTOX is a miracle drug and provides much needed relief, particularly for cervical dystonia.

Enough of my mundane fixation with this unwanted partner in life we call PSP! Talking of weather, a taste of Fall has arrived this morning with the low being only 50 degrees farenheit. It was a real pleasure sitting in the backyard sipping a hot cup of coffee. It seems as if I awoke from a long dream after the pneumonia and I am invigorated and refreshed.

I am so very glad to know you are maintaining and are as lively as ever. As a friend, let me tell you that PSP does not interfere with your heart and soul. The love, beauty and warmth of family shines through no matter how the symptoms present themselves outwardly. I KNOW keeping active, exercising, eating right, enjoying Mother Nature and being with family eases the disease greatly.

Life is good, better with fun and laughter, and simply amazing when we are smart enough to realize how lucky we are for ever being given the gift in the first place.

I will write more often. I hope you tune in more often too. Fixin to head over to Lowes (home improvement and hardware store) to pick out some Fall Plants. Then going to get a pumpkin or two and some bales of hay to decorate the yard in the spirit of Fall and Harvest. Yes, I am wheelchair bound and a little ill, but I am alive and raring to meet the remainder of this day head on.

God Bless and Keep,

Richard
Richard1

Postby eplowman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Richard,

Good to hear from you again. Others here have asked about you. Your prose is as good as ever, even filtered through your son's grid. :) We all admire your attitude and spirit; it will help other patients here with PSP to take heart.

p.s. I hear that something went wrong with the pumpkin growing season in the Northeast, and there may be a shortage of the squash for Halloween. I hope you find some good ones!

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Postby Richard1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Ed! I missed your "voice" and am happy you are still here with the forum. I didn't have luck with the pumpkins yesterday because no one has them out for sell yet that we could see. Hopefully later in the week.

Alan is taking a much needed vacation and I now have a home aide whose name is Carol. Yes, she is pounding away on the keyboard as I convey the words. She is a cruel sort and keeps reminding me to "enunciate clearly and louder". She has no sympathy for my speech and tells me I sound like a "drunk Marlon Brando" of the Godfather genre. I will keep her in employ anyway because of her efficiency, kindness and patience. :)

Are you well? Are you still traveling? How about writing? How is your son and family doing? Sorry for the many questions but it has been awhile since the opportunity to be social has presented itself and I am curious.

I look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. I get to go to Church this weekend. I am really excited about that!

Truly,

Richard
Richard1

to richard.

Postby ruthkri » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi You All, I read your posts to one another and was so pleased to hear from all of you. It has been a while for me too going on line but something drew me today and it was so good to hear from you Richard, Jeff and Ed. Jeff , what a joy to hear how well you are doing. Maybe the
down under locale is good for you and it sounds like you and Gwenda are doing your thing as usual. Richard, sorry to hear about the pneumonia and am so glad for you are a special person to accept and recover so well. Being in a wheel chair is good- just think someone is pushing you around and you are safe from falling. Keep up the good attitude and it does make a difference when you thumb your nose at PSP. I just know that there will be a break-through one of these days so hang in there. No-one knows better than I that one cannot predict the course of this @#&* disease. My husband kept going for over a year after the first bout of PN after we were told negative time frames. So the old adage "when the going gets tough, the tough get going" Ed nice to hear from you too. It is heart warming to hear from you all. By the way the pumpkins in Minnesota flourished well and are all over the markets, front yards , and fall is here quickly. Lots of excitement up here with the Vikings and the Twins. It has been nail biting !!! You all take care Love Ruth
wife of Bud who received his golden wings March 4, 2007
And now abideth Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest
of these is Love
ruthkri

Postby Jeff Hawkins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:36 am

Gidday Richard, :D

I'd just about given up on you and lo and behold you appear like magic!!
We are around at our daughter Vanessa place for dinner and I checked the forum and was delighted to see your reply. Sorry to hear about you have been knocked down with pneumonia but pleased to see you won the battle.

I'm still OK with no perceivable changes to my health. Gwenda and I walked the Takapuna beach today. It's about a 3 kilometres walk which I can still handle with not to much trouble although I tend to "hit the wall" on the last uphill bit.

Last week we spent a week at Whangamata with the 4 youngest grandchildren (Abby, Eva, Louis and Clark) and survived. I loved to be 7 again! Wake up eat, play, eat, play, eat, play, go to bed, sleep and then wake up and do it all again. Not a worry in the world!! We slept soundly the first night back at home.

Tomorrow off to the car club drag meeting at MereMere about an hour south. Weather looks promising so should be a good day.

I've been called for dinner so I had better go unless I want to get into trouble. Now that you are back amongst the land of the living I will keep in contact. :D :D
Nohoia Kaha (Stay strong),

Jeff
Jeff Hawkins

Return to The Back Porch