Lift device

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lift device

Postby NickM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Hello!

My dad is nearing the point where he's unable to get out of bed- unable to get up and walk.

Curious to know if someone has used any sort of lift/transfer device to move their loved one to/from bed?

Thanks
NickM

Re: Lift device

Postby Robin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 am

We used the Invacare patient lift. (Model 9805 - hydraulic transfer lift) In theory, one person should be able to operate it, but we were always happier with 1 person being the main operator and another person or two making sure that the lifted person didn't swing in to the wall or a lamp.

Another brand is Hoyer.

We also bought a polyester mesh sling with a cut off in the butt area. This was useful for lifting people on to the toilet.

Lift was $1K. Sling was $135.
Robin

Postby NickM » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:03 am

Thank you Robin for sharing your wisdom!
NickM

Postby RolandInMI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm

My wife Diane has PSP and can no longer walk or rise from a chair or bed. We use a hydraulic lift, Invicare Get-U-Up, to move her around. It has a harness which fits under the shoulders and straps that attach to the arms of the lift. The patient is lifted up into a standing position and wheeled to the desired location where she is lowered into a chair or to her bed or to the toilet. Requires some effort by the operator, since it is a fairly basic model.

The good news is that Medicare takes care of most of the cost and I believe that our secondary insurance will cover the rest. As I understand the details, after one year you own the lift, or if the patient uses it for less than a year it goes back to the supplier. If you have Medicare, or perhaps some other health insurance, it is worthwhile investigating.

Roland
RolandInMI

Return to Family Caregiver Resources