Experience with Home/Health Aide

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Experience with Home/Health Aide

Postby NickM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Good evening,

Curious to know if anyone is, or has been, using home/health aides to help a family member suffering with PSP. If so, could you please share:
- At what juncture did you bring him/her in?
- How many days and hours do they visit? Did you sign up for a 24/7 aide? If so, do multiple aides rotate shifts?
- What are good resources to find a caring aide?
- What is your role? Do you oversee the aid as he/she bathes, grooms your loved one?

Thanks!
NickM

Re: Experience with Home/Health Aide

Postby Merry5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 am

My dad has CBD and we have been having an aide at nights for over a year now. My mom is his primary care giver so she is there all the time but he was not and still does not sleep well at night. We did that to give her relief. We just started having someone come in during the afternoons so mom can get away (outside for walk to store etc. since Dad is barely able to walk any more, even with help. We try to use family as much as possible to fill those time slots but we have had to hire because with family and jobs we can't always be there to help as much as we'd like. There are 3 grandsons, 3 granddaughter and my brother and my self that pick up what we can. The grandsons and son go in twice a week and give him a shower so we haven't had to hire for that.
Merry5

Postby Merry5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:04 am

We chose to not use an agency but asked around. We've interviewed several people bringing them to the house to see how they interacted with dad and mom. We talked to others that were using the care givers services.
Merry5

Postby upnover » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 pm

I used an agency to find a live in caregiver for my wife. I had 3 choices of girls to choose from and the one I chose could not have been any better. She lives with us and helps with the feeding dressing and toileting. She also does the housework and laundry which allows me to work from my home office. Without her I would be sunk and likely have to put my wife in an institution. We know that route is coming though when she is no longer able to walk assisted. Having the care aid just makes life so much easier. I am fortunate to be able to afford it but I know the trials others must have who cannot. She just came back from a 30 day vacation and it was like I was missing my right arm. My caregiver is an RN so she knows what to do and how to keep my wife comfortable.
upnover

Return to Family Caregiver Resources