Recommendations needed for continuous care

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Recommendations needed for continuous care

Postby jgoodrich » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am

Hello all, my first time here. I am posting for my parents in the Northern VA area. My dad has PSP in it's advanced stages. My mom takes care of him 24/7 in their home. We are now to the point of needing to explore next steps in terms of continuous care. Moving them both to a facility where my mom can live with my dad and help to care of him is the "easiest" solution, though we know it's the most expensive option. Does anyone have any recommendations for facilities that could take both mom and dad, but not commit my mom to stay long term? We are also open to assisted living facilities for dad alone, but mom wants to be with him. Care at home will become unmanageable within the year, so I am looking at options now. Thank you in advance! Julie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:50 am

Re: Recommendations needed for continuous care

Postby HelpingDad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 am

Have you looked at bringing outside caregivers in to help out? There are numerous agencies that offer 24/7 staff plus they could be of aid if/when it becomes time to transit to hospice type care. My experiences are that either way, moving to a facility or bringing in help, is costly. Is your father old enough to be on medicare/medicaid, that MAY help offset the costs some. Also if your father is a veteran the VA has quite a few options, lots of paperwork and it can get frustrating at times dealing with them.

Just tossing out a few things for you to look into....

Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Re: Recommendations needed for continuous care

Postby Robin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am

Does your dad still qualify for assisted living? Usually that means he can be transferred with the assistance of one person (a young, female aide typically). If so, then there are a lot of places they can move to and be in the same apartment.

If he doesn't qualify for assisted living, then you can try to find a larger facility where your dad can be in the long-term care (nursing home) wing but your mom lives in the independent wing.

For specific suggestions, call your local long-term care ombudsman, local senior center, and local support group leader. There are probably for-profit businesses around that provide "senior referrals" to care facilities.
Posts: 3839
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:32 am
Location: USA - Northern CA

Return to General PSP Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests