Incontinence and bedding

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Incontinence and bedding

Postby Brutus22 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:12 am

Hi everyone,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am washing bedding constantly. Mick is using depends but leaks thru them. I know some of you have used catheters but can we use that if he is constantly moving all night and kicking his legs. I am wondering when it is time for a hospital bed but again with all the movement will he fall out of that? I have bars on the bed now and usually that keeps him from falling all the way out. It's usually just his legs on the floor and I can get him back in the bed.
Terry
Brutus22

Re: Incontinence and bedding

Postby Catherine27 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

I use to use depends also but they leaked, I know use Tranquility’s Premium OverNight™ Disposable Absorbent Underwear. I get them on Amazon and they also have a booster pad for overnight, you just put it inside the underwear and it absorbs twice as much. I also have mattress protection pads as a back up.
Catherine27
Catherine27

Postby zymurgy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am

So far nothing we have tried is perfect, except my laundry skills. My husband has used Convene by Coloplast which stays on the best, Bard and Coloplast Freedom both of which slip off even if taped. The backed up urine (before it goes down the tube to the bag) just dissolves the adhesive. These also have the issue of UTIs coming from bacterial exposure. Currently he is using and Advantage Urinal system we ordered from Amazon. It hangs on a bed rail and he does not need to get up during the night, just wake up to use it. There are disadvantages, but better than the other options at night. We are going to test a product called TIMO, which was developed by his PT. I got it out of frustration for me, if nothing else. I don't know if it is available on the market yet, and it is quite expensive. I do use washable protective pads to try and protect the mattress and mattress pad.
zymurgy

Postby Brutus22 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks Catherine I will try those.
Brutus22

Postby stillkicking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am

Hi all,

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but do women who have PSP just generally wear a diaper or are they more commonly on a catheter? If on a catheter, how difficult is it for a dumb husband such as myself to manage it?

Thanks

Pete
stillkicking

Postby myownwoman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 am

As bad as a catheter is for a man, it is worse for a woman. If a catheter is necessary then I suggest you try to bring in either a nursing service or Hospice.
myownwoman

Postby stillkicking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks Kate. That is what I figured all along but I needed to hear it. I am closing in quickly on our probable timeline and now I have to execute a plan that I have in mind. Your responses have helped a lot! Plan = Buy Bungalow with open plan-then do normal basic renos and handle immediate accesibility issues -then get in Homecare to assist-then get my wife on the waiting list for nursing care-then modify the bungalow as needed for a wheelchair -then care for her as long as I can at home until a place in the system becomes available (2 year list) but more likely our Health System will fail me again and I will have to make it work at the new home. Hard to time placement in nursing care for somebody with a 2 year wait list. If it becomes impossible, I can manage Private care for 2 years.

Pete
stillkicking

Postby HelpingDad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Have you tried using a disposable bed pad along with Depends or whatever brand you're using? I know the one or two times an external cath has come off the depends plus pad kept the bedding/bed dry. The pad also works well in case a bowel movement happens, just clean up and toss. I've dealt with very bad diarrhea and it never leaked through the pad.

Ron
HelpingDad

Postby Brutus22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 pm

I thought about using the pads, but do you think it will work with him moving so much? He is in a queen size bed. His legs move constantly like he's running. It's funny that when I ask him if he slept well he says yes but of course I don't. But thanks Ron, maybe I will try those.
Brutus22

Postby HelpingDad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:55 am

The pads I use are 30"x34" so fairly large. Dad doesn't move much in bed other then slide down some when he elevates the head end.
Ron
HelpingDad

Return to General PSP Discussion