PSP and passing out

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

PSP and passing out

Postby Brutus22 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 pm

I would really appreciate any information that anyone might have on this topic. Mick passed out this morning which is the fourth time this year. First time he spent 3days in the hospital with tests and no results. The next 2 times I did not call the squad because the episodes pasted quickly but not today. I had him on the toilet first thing this morning which is the daily routine. I turned away for a moment and looked back to see him going forward. I pushed him back, he slumped to side and I thought he was not breathing so I am yelling to him and he started to moan loudly and was covered in sweat. I belted him and got him in the wheel chair and then on to the bed so I could check his blood pressure. It was 108/74. I kept trying to sit him up and he would fall backward and just stair at the ceiling. Then he started to vomit so I got him on his side. I kept trying to ask him how he felt and he finally said f-up so I called the squad. Scan, urine and blood work was good but blood pressure was 150/80. They have him on 24 observation and no one has a clue as to why it has happens. We are at a loss.
Terry
Brutus22

Re: PSP and passing out

Postby Robin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 am

Orthostatic hypotension (OH) can happen in older people. It is also very common in a PSP look-alike disorder called multiple system atrophy (MSA). Try non-pharmacological measures for treating OH.
Robin

Postby Katie1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 pm

My husband in year seven and have not experienced that which you describe. I will say u are one tough woman. We need to be with what we face daily.
Katie1

Postby Brutus22 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Well Robin you are correct. A doctor that we have not seen before just gave us that diagnosis. And I guess I made things worse by trying to keep him sitting up. I need to lay him down and get his feet in the air. We are glad to be leaving the hospital.
Brutus22

Postby Robin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 pm

We can only be responsible for what we know! And now you know!

You might join an MSA-focused Yahoo!Group that I'm the moderator of. It's the ShyDrager Yahoo!Group. Shy Drager is the old name for one type of MSA.

PSP and MSA are quite different symptomatically....at least when you get into OH.

BTW, this is why we encourage brain donation! It's the ONLY way to obtain a confirmed diagnosis between PSP, MSA, or all the other look-alike conditions.
Robin

Postby Brutus22 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Well here we are a year later and still have unanswered questions. Mick passed out this week during his shower. It was 10:30 and he had already been up and had breakfast. He passed out in the middle of the shower and blood pressure was 68/54. It took a while to get him into his chair and feet elevated. At that time he was 97/64. They did blood work the next day and his TSH was very low and he is on thyroid meds. The palliative nurse comes tomorrow so hopefully he will have suggestions. Just wondered if anyone has thyroid issues? Also he is a diabetic and his numbers are the best they have been in 3 years and he is having ice cream, candy and chips everyday - who can figure this out - it is crazy
Brutus22

Postby Robin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 am

Is Mick's diagnosis multiple system atrophy? In MSA, there are lots of non-pharmacological approaches to orthostatic hypotension. One is to avoid hot baths. Maybe Mick was too long in the shower?

Brain Support Network recently co-hosted a webinar on coping with OH. See the notes here:
https://www.brainsupportnetwork.org/not ... d-webinar/
Robin

Postby Brutus22 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 pm

We have not been told that he has MSA. But thank you for the link. It has a lot of good advice. The palliative nurse was here today and will get in touch with our neurologist to see if we should cut back on the carbo. He is taking 2 100mg tablets 4 times a day and has been for about 3 years. The nurse did not think his low thyroid numbers are effecting blood pressure but they may need to adjust that medication. We may try to shorten the length of the shower but everything is so slow I am not sure that is possible.
Brutus22

Return to General PSP Discussion