Palliative care

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Palliative care

Postby Brutus22 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:30 pm

I am wondering if anyone has any information or have used the palliative care. I injured my shoulder moving Mick and someone suggested that we contact hospice. I really just felt that if I had someone to shower him that would help me tremendously. But when I contacted his doctor she said she did not think he would qualify for hospice but we could be evaluated for palliative care. I am reading up on it but it mentions nurses and social workers for pain and depression and emotional support where I'm needing hands on help. I appreciate any suggestions
Terry
Brutus22

Re: Palliative care

Postby zymurgy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Our insurance, when requested by my husband's GP as home health care , offered PT, OT and showering help. Six visits were covered initially. That sounds what Mick's doctor should have requested. Hope this helps.
zymurgy

Postby lakegirl51 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:30 am

Agree home health might be an option. I was also interested in what you found about palliative care teams. My husband has psp. An article I read in the neuro office indicated the palliative care team should be accessed upon diagnosis of an illness such as psp. The descriptions I found on association websites and team websites also lead me to think it would be a great resource to us as we began this psp journey. But after a few days and multiple phone calls, I found palliative care teams connected to hospital stays and usually connected to cancer centers. (At least the 4 I called.) So, the vision I had and the reality did not match. We have not accessed either home health or hospice at this point......we are able to manage currently and are still getting out and about to access services and paying caregivers for times when I need to be gone. I wish there was a blueprint or guidance chart to guide through resources......even though different across regions.

I expected the palliative care team as a multi disciplinary team to be like a point of contact for someone with a chronic, life threatening illness with accessing services at the point needed. Although not utilizing hospice services, they have provided some guidance and info on community resources. Best of luck in finding some help and will be interested in your continued journey of finding the right resources .....
lakegirl51

Postby Brutus22 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:40 am

Thank you both. Although it is very confusing, we have had pt and ot for the past 3 years and the Humana nurse calls every month to get an update on Mick but no one has told us about home health care. The nurse did mention that I could hire someone to come in but since I had to quit work 3 years ago money is tight. I will reach out to his doctor again and see - maybe it is just our insurance that does not offer it. Thank you again
Brutus22

Postby HelpingDad » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Finding resources to help out is a daunting task at best. Have you tried contacting your city/county government offices to see if there are any area programs you may qualify for? Where I live there is an actually agency on aging that has lots of information and various programs. I've contacted them just looking for places that are social settings to get dad out of the house.

Ron
HelpingDad

Postby Brutus22 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:01 pm

I did check a couple of agencies and they told me they have daycare centers available which I'm not really looking for, and gave me a couple places to call for an aid to come in. The problem with that is that they have limits on the time like 3 to 4 hours for a visit where I was looking for an hour every other day just to shower Mick. It just becomes to expensive for 3 hours every other day. So I am talking with friends to see if they know anyone who might work on their own - not thru an agency. Hopefully I will find someone
Brutus22

Postby Brutus22 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Just an update. I finally contacted an agency for help and thought I could afford 2 visits a week. They have a 3 hour minimum. So the first came out today and I am trying very hard to keep an open mind. She said she was really here the first time to evaluate and look at the bathroom set up for safety. The huge problem is that she is 70 years old! And I understand the evaluating but I do not think she could even transfer Mick to the toilet let alone shower him. She was very nice but not at all what I need. She will go back and report to her boss but she said maybe we need 2 aids for the showering. I am 62 and have been showering him for the last 3 years. Again I am trying to keep an open mind but wonder if any of you have similar problems because I know that I cannot afford to pay for 2 aids.
Brutus22

Postby Robin » Tue May 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Hmmmm.... Talk to a different agency.
Robin

Return to General PSP Discussion