Thrush

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Thrush

Postby thross » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Lately- My dad has developed thrush. They clear it up and in a couple days it returns. Has anyone else's loved one had this happen?
thross

Re: Thrush

Postby eplowman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:36 am

If you enter Thrush in the Search box (upper right side at top of page), you will see that a number of PSP patients have suffered from this fungal infection. It does seem to be a repetitive problem in a number of cases.

You may find a solution mentioned in some of the posts. As you no doubt know, it is a candida (yeast) fungal infection, and you should take him to his primary care physician asap, and get treatment started (again). If your dad didn't suffer adverse side effects when treated with an anti-fungal drug earlier, that's good news.

Was your dad on an antibiotic recently? If not, the cause may well be a weakened immune system, which often happens the older and/or the more stressed we get. Most everybody has the fungus, but the "good" bacteria we also have usually keeps everything in balance. Which is why a doctor may suggest taking a probiotic as well in your father's case. Let us know the outcome.

Does your dad live at home with a family member, or in a care facility? It's great he has a daughter who cares.

ed p.
|My wife of 56 years was Rose b. 1930, dx 1999, symptoms from 1997; d. 06/21/08; PSP-rs autopsy confirmed.
eplowman

Re: Thrush

Postby myownwoman » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:45 am

Phil had Thrush. It was hard to treat because he couldn't swallow the oral medication he was given. I painted his mouth with the stuff and hoped some went down. I also added the probiotics to his liquified food. Whatever I did must have worked because it went away. I am wondering if there is some medication for Thrush that is given differently.

One thought: Phil didn't get it back again and I'm wondering if it was because I would rinse his mouth with "Colgate Peroxyl Mouth Sore Rinse, Antiseptic Oral Cleanser & Rinse Mint". Since I couldn't brush his teeth properly I had hoped the Peroxyl would help. Perhaps it did more than I thought.
myownwoman

Return to General PSP Discussion