Caregiver loneliness

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Caregiver loneliness

Postby Dodie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:03 pm

I am new to the forum so bear with me. My husband has PSP not sure how long. He has swallowing problems, speech, eyes very dry and doesn't focus, using walker and wheel chair. He stills want to travel and socialize. Of course he just stairs into space. I feel as long as he wants to we will do it. It is like taking a baby but bigger and you know they won't out grow it:-(. I want to do these things but maybe i am selfish but it would be nice once in awhile to be told you are appreciated or get a hug. He still wants the sexual part of our marriage but i find it hard to have those feelings after doing all the things he needs done. By nature i am a caregiver but i guess you can say i am having burnout. Does anyone else out there have any suggestions. It is tearing me apart because i do love him. Tks for listening.
Dodie

Re: Caregiver loneliness

Postby zymurgy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 pm

I think you will find you are among friends here. I know burnout is something I reach. I wish my husband wanted to travel and socialize. I find myself feeling isolated. I found this article which may give you ideas and solace. http://www.wholehealthinsider.com/newsl ... d=24644509. Hope you find it helpful as well. Zy
zymurgy

Postby myownwoman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 pm

This is when you need your friends the most... and, at least an occasional other caregiver - professional or borrowed, so you can go to lunch, a movie, even shopping. I really don't know where I'd be without my friends to take my mind away from the rigors of caring for my husband.
myownwoman

Postby upnover » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:47 pm

I hear you. I feel your pain as I live with the same situation with my wife who has the PSP. I have a live in caregiver which takes a lot of burden from me and lets me keep working. What I miss the most is the conversations we had and living life together, that is all history now as we wait for the end. Try and find a close friend who you can trust and share your feelings with. I also know prayer helps a lot for me. I don't know what those without a faith turn to, other than utter despair or worse. My thoughts are with you. Hang in there for the sake of your husband. I wish I could offer more.
upnover

Return to General PSP Discussion