Constant UTI's

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Constant UTI's

Postby EmmaKate » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello,

My name is Emma and I have only just joined the forum looking for some support and ideas if at all possible. We are in New Zealand and it seems there is very little information or awareness of PSP down here and therefore no community to help navigate this very scary and confusing disease. My father was diagnosed with PSP at the beginning of 2014 after he started to develop very minor symptoms 4 - 5 years ago which eventually resulted in a diagnosis of Parkinson's 2 years ago and then after many backward falls a final diagnosis of PSP. There is so much that we as a family are trying to manage and come to terms with as his mobility and speech are deteriorating but my greatest concern at present are the constant UTI's he has been suffering and the discomfort and pain that is a daily addition to every other struggle he is facing. This year it has been an almost constant affliction, he had a catheter until 4 months ago when he had surgery on his prostate to try and make a difference, since the surgery he has continued to have a persistent UTI and has been on one antibiotic after another for 4 months. Has anyone had any success in treating recurrent UTI's for PSP patients? Any advice or suggestions would be so helpful.

Thank you.
EmmaKate

Re: Constant UTI's

Postby zymurgy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 pm

I am so sorry for you and your father. There is Healthunlocked.com with a PSP community and several NZ members and based int the UK. A great support group. We have used pure cranberry juice which seems to help with the UTI.

Hope these suggestions help. Zy
zymurgy

Postby myownwoman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:00 pm

I've use herbal tinctures (drops) that are specific to urinary problems and they seem to help keep the UTIs at bay. The company I've been buying from is Native Remedies located in the US, but I'm sure you have reputable companies in NZ that sell the equivalent. You might give them a try.
myownwoman

Postby Robin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

My father took antibiotics (Macrobid) prophylactically (sp?) to prevent UTIs.

I know lots of women without PSP use cranberry capsules to prevent bladder infections.
Robin

Postby EmmaKate » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm

Thank you for your reply - its so hard to know where to start, I have looked up healthunlocked.com and am so pleased to find another resource. I will try the cranberry and will look into the tincture - is there a main ingredient to it? perhaps I can find it here.
EmmaKate

Postby boxcar9 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Welcome to the forum and we are sorry that your father has this awful disease.

Is the UTI analysis is always the same type of bacteria? That could be a clue to the prevention.

My mom also takes Macrobid (generic name nitrofurantoin) which is quite effective for e-coli and has been for many, many months. (She has an unresolved fistula leading from her colon to her vagina and due to the physical nature of the female anatomy, bacteria is going to enter the urinary tract.) It seems that as long as she stays on this, she does better than without it for her urinary infection symptoms.

We also use probiotics (good bacteria) for intestinal health & vaginal health. There are probably some geared toward urinary health as well.

I found a link to the University of Maryland re: UTI's (geared toward women of course but you may find something useful there) and I like that their information always refers to supporting documentation:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/urinary-tract-infection-in-women

There are many foods that can be irritating to the urinary tract. You'll be surprised. Mayo Clinic provided us with a typed list of common foods that can irritate the urinary tract. It is not on their website. But the following link from the Cleveland Clinic has an extensive list:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Bladder_Irritating_Foods

I also noticed with Mom that when she visited the grandkids (when she was still mobile), she would often come home with either UTI of staph or strep. But since her travels have been limited, the infections have gone down dramatically. If she got one at home, it was e-coli, which could be attributed to female anatomy as I purchased a "HydraWand" (portable bidet) to clean her with after toileting.

Peace to you and your family
    boxcar9

Postby myownwoman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:56 pm

I had to get out the "microscope" to read the ingredients, but here they are for UTI-Clear:
    Buchu leaves
    Bearberry leaf
    Yarrow (aerial parts)
    Lemon Balm (aerial parts)
    Oatstraw (herb)
    St John's Wort (aerial parts)
    Echinacea (aerial parts, root)
    Billberry (fruit)

I meant to add that we also gave/give Phil pure, organic Cranberry Juice too.
    myownwoman

Postby zymurgy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:08 pm

You may also find this of interest. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263426.php
    zymurgy

Postby EmmaKate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Thank you - very helpful articles and suggestions. He has been afflicted with different bacteria over the course of this saga so will take that into account. I am just looking for a small win here and so appreciate the ideas and feedback.
    EmmaKate

Postby myownwoman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Sometimes I just don't know where my brain has gone! I missed telling you that the easiest help for kidneys and the whole urinary system is Coconut Water. Our grandson has had kidney and ureter issues since before he was born and has been drinking at least a glass a day since first grade. He didn't have to have the expected major surgery that was to be his fate. The only explanation anyone could figure was the coconut water since there are lots of healing and rebuilding and protective things in this juice. There are different brands and they all taste a bit different, so I suggest trying several different ones. We give Phil coconut water several times a day by way of his PEG, so I don't know that the taste counts for him.
    myownwoman

Return to General PSP Discussion