Oddities of Medicine

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Oddities of Medicine

Postby myownwoman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:51 am

Our son and daughter keep wanting me to get and give Phil medical Marajuana. I did read a past thread from 2005 concerning this, but it doesn't seem to go on where people posted results. Our County has totally banned all forms of Marajuana and so I don't think any of our doctors can even proscribe it. Our son says he thinks he can get it in his city, but I don't want him to get caught with it here and get arrested.

? So, have any studies been done on PSP patients using Marajuana and, if so, what was the outcome?

Phil was recently put on low-dose Methadone for pain. It's been 12 days and all of a sudden he is moving around and appears to actually be trying to get out of bed. He scared me the other night when he actually grabbed my arm to get my attention. He hasn't moved his arms in months. ? This has to be the Methadone?
myownwoman

Re: Oddities of Medicine

Postby Robin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:53 am

The FDA makes it very difficult to do studies on marijuana. So there haven't been any studies in PSPor most other disorders.

You saw the recent news about marijuana and Alzheimer's...?

Phil's recent movements could be due to the methadone. My dad was also on methadone since neither the care facility nor hospice would fill the MD's prescription for those Fentanyl lollipops. The methadone, and later a Fentanyl patch, worked well to bring the overall level of pain down.
Robin

Postby myownwoman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 pm

So you think this might have more to do with the absence of pain than an effect on the neuro-respnses? Below I have C&Ped what I wrote to an Aunt this morning. Any thoughts on this?

<I had something weird happen with Phil this morning: he appeared to be quite mobile (not in months) and trying to get out of bed. I asked him if he was trying to escape and he said, “yes”. Then I told him we had to wait for Jessica (caregiver) to arrive, and he told me to “go get her.” (Again he hasn’t spoken a word in at least 6 months.) He has been taking Methadone for pain for about 2 weeks and we’re wondering if this has done something marvelous to his brain. ??? Now we need to watch him like a hawk so he doesn’t fall out of bed onto the floor. :-) Never a dull moment.>

We did get him into his wheelchair right away and he was happy as a clam for about two hours and then asked to be put back to bed. Some men were here installing new screen doors and he asked what they were doing. Dementia has never been a problem with Phil.
myownwoman

Postby Robin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Yes, good clarification. I think Phil's small improvement could be due to reduced pain.
Robin

Return to General PSP Discussion