Standing up in middle of bowel movement

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Standing up in middle of bowel movement

Postby Lena2007 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm

My husband was diagnosed with PSP back in 2011 and now has care givers with him during the day while I'm at work. He can't walk on his own and needs help with most everything. He currently wears Depends underwear during the day for bladder issues and an external condom catheter during the night. I recently discovered a new problem when he was having a bowel movement. I usually walk him into the bathroom, get him seated on the toilet and then leave, shutting the door to give him some privacy but stay close by. I know I can go back in when I hear the toilet flush. Because of falling, he's been instructed not to stand up on his own but wait until I or his care givers come in to help him get up. Several weeks ago, I heard the toilet seat smack down (was stuck to him or caught on his underwear), clearly indicating that he was trying to stand up. When I went in and asked if he was done, he said no. I asked why he was getting up and he said he didn't know. I tried to get him seated again but it really was a struggle. It was like his muscle weren't cooperating and he was gripping the handles to hard I could barely get him back down. Unfortunately, a few times he's done this and actually defecated on the floor. The last time this happened, I ended up standing in there with him to make sure he doesn't try and stand up. Who wants to do that with someone standing there. I've never heard of this issue for PSP. Has anyone encountered this? If so, any suggestions for what to do?
Lena2007

Re: Standing up in middle of bowel movement

Postby Robin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Sounds like the caregiver will need to stay in the bathroom with your husband. You might consider what can be placed on the floor to aid the clean-up.

Many people with neurological disorders are not able to tell when they are done defecating or urinating. Those sensations are gone.
Robin

Postby Lena2007 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:45 am

Thank you both for your reply. It helps to know that this isn't all that unusual. I've been leaving the door open and standing outside to watch and see if he puts his hands out to start to pull himself up and then will say something. That seems to make him stop and think about it. Hate that he has to lose all his privacy. Told his caregivers the same thing. I'm sure at some point we'll have to stand in there next to him while he's going. This disease just sucks!
Lena2007

Postby samanthi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:23 am

Hello,

My mother does stand up sometimes during bowel movement. I have noticed that this is when she is having difficulty with the bowel movement or rather constipated. When she has a proper diet of fruits daily this does not happen.
samanthi

Return to General PSP Discussion