Leg pain and knee weakness

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Leg pain and knee weakness

Postby malbers » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 pm

My husband was diagonised with PSP over a year ago. He takes Azelect and Sinemet and seems to get benefits from these meds. Now my question...he has been complaining of leg pain/restlessness and when he walks his knees "gives in". This is not causing him to fall. Does anyone have any wisdom for me? He doesn't see his doctors until the end of October and his p/t doesn't seemed too alarmed.
malbers

Re: Leg pain and knee weakness

Postby Robin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 pm

This was one of my father's first symptoms -- leg weakness. I don't know anything that can be done specifically for this except encourage your husband to keep walking and exercising.

He should be assessed by the neurologist for the leg pain and restlessness. Is the pain being caused by an "off time" of the Sinemet? Does he have RLS that could be treated by a dopamine agonist, such as Requip?
Robin

Postby malbers » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:07 pm

he takes 2 sinemet 3 times a day and the azelect once a day. I give him the sinemet morning, noon and then 6:00 in the evening. Azelect first thing in the morning. Pain seems to be all day. he takes p/t once an week. I have been communicating with neurologist through email the couple days. Just sent answers to her questions. He does have REM sleep disorder but has not had any indication of RLS. He has no pain in his knees, they just give in.
malbers

Postby Robin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Probably he/you should keep a pain log and include the medication timing/dosage on that. The MD will find that useful.

If your husband has REM sleep behavior disorder, what's he doing with a PSP diagnosis? I think I'd see a different neurologist and consider PD, MSA, or LBD.
Robin

Return to General PSP Discussion