Neupro (rotigotine) is Effective!

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Neupro (rotigotine) is Effective!

Postby boxcar9 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:54 pm

:D

Hey, PSP Family!

I found a newer study about a drug called Neupro (Rotigotine) patch.

My take on a recently published study is that this drug could help those with PSP and other similar neurodegenerative diseases.

Title: Rotigotine is safe and efficacious in Atypical Parkinsonism Syndromes induced by both a-synucleinopathy and tauopathy.

This was an Italian study; author: Davide Vito Moretti involving subjects with atypical parkinsonism syndromes including PSP.

Here is the pubmed link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4051815/

OK, so now my questions.

Why don't I see anyone talking about this on the forum? (I did find something indicating it was not available in the US for a while.)

Is anyone on it?

As best as I can tell, this totally seems worth a shot and seems to have numerous benefits.

It works differently than the other dopamine drugs--something to do with the "pharamcological" action in the body.

I plan to ask the neuro about this asap.

THOUGHTS, COMMENTS?

Best to all,
Deb
boxcar9

Re: Neupro (rotigotine) is Effective!

Postby zymurgy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:23 pm

My husband's neurologist is Dr. Yvette Bordelon at UCLA. I emailed her your information. I will let you know as soon as I find out something. Great sleuthing!
zymurgy

Postby Robin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:00 pm

Neupro is a dopamine agonist available in patch form. It was on the market for quite awhile in the US, then the FDA pulled it because crystals were forming on the patch and irritating skin. The company had to do new testing, and it's been back on the market for about 2 years now. One reason no one here is talking about it is that anti-Parkinson's medications aren't effective in PSP. At least not in the RS form of the disease. They can be somewhat effective for those with the PSP-parkinsonism form of PSP for a short period of time.

I'm not sure why no one in the PD community talks about this medication. Perhaps it's because the other dopamine agonists are now available in extended release forms so the perceived need for the patch is minimized. Or perhaps it's the cost. The other two drugs in this class are Requip and Mirapex.

Dopamine agonists have some serious side effects that are worth considering. For a rundown on them, see a website such as rxlist.com or drugs.com.
Robin

Postby Robin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for the link to the study. I gave it a quick perusal.

For PSP folks, here's the key statement: "In this study, the subjects affected by PSP were all the PSP-Parkinsonism (PSP-P) type."

Personally, I'm a little embarrassed to ask any of my MD friends about this study because look at the very low numbers for each disorder type: PDD (nine patients), MSA-Parkinsonism (MSA-P; eleven), MSA-cerebellar type (MSA-C; four), PSP (seven), CBD (ten), LBD (nine), and frontotemporal dementia with parkinsonism (FTD-P; one). How can conclusions be drawn on such low numbers?

And the diagnostic accuracy for PSP-parkinsonism, MSA, CBD, and LBD is 42% or less!
Robin

Postby boxcar9 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 am

:?:

First off, thank you for indicating what the diagnostic accuracy is!!

I've been wondering about that and looking for the answer when you had it all along. I wasn't searching for those terms "diagnostic accuracy".

ALL the MORE reason for me to continue to try to look for possible options for Mom.

Yes, the numbers in this study are low.

BUT, the numbers of PSPers are low! I haven't done stats in a long time, but given that this is a rare disease, isn't ALL data worth looking at?

Maybe not to doctors. That's too bad for them.

(ok, except for something ridiculous, i.e. "study confirms positive results from applying avocado slices to the back of your ears, wrapped in generic toilet paper that has been soaked in aspirin for 24hrs and dried on a willow tree")

If doctors never looked at the small things, where would we be???

It's the small things (the microscopic analysis of brain tissue for example) that have gotten us to knowing the differences between the tau vs synuclein, lewy body vs parkinson's disease dementia, psp vs cbd, etc.

You just never know when the universe is putting something out there to catch your attention.

Are all these "professional medical journals" hard up for quality data to print in their prestigious publications? Is there a lack of subject matter? I think not.

I think they probably have to go through an intense scrutinizing process to decide what gets published in their prestigious magazine or do doctors/universities pay to be published?? And I think this was published in more than one journal.

And it might only apply to my mom, who is atypical to the nth degree. But, I also think that puts her at a disadvantage with medical professionals--they don't know what to do, so they don't do anything. :evil:

I've been trying really hard to keep my emotions in control with this--but holy moly, I'm sick of not trying.

If you don't try, what's the point of having hope???? :(
boxcar9

Postby Robin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am

If you think this medication is worth trying and your mom thinks it's worth trying, then talk to your mom's neurologist about it. He/she may want to discontinue use of Sinemet before placing your mom on the Neupro patch.

For "best practices" on a drug study, consider something like the Davunetide trial or the Nypta trial, where there were 100 participants with PSP-RS worldwide.
Robin

Return to General PSP Discussion