Another Ability Gone

Moderators: Moderator, phpBB2 - Administrators

Another Ability Gone

Postby myownwoman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Too sad. Phil has now lost his last ability to communicate... hand squeezing. Now what do we do to find out answers to our questions? Anyone have any suggestions?
myownwoman

Re: Another Ability Gone

Postby Robin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Here are other things we did with my father (confirmed PSP) to communicate very basic info:
* 1 finger for yes, 2 for no
* point to a picture when only 2 pictures were presented
* 1 eye blink for yes, 2 for no (did not work well)
* roll the right hand from palm down to palm up for yes, don't move the hand for no
* shift the right foot as if stepping on the gas pedal for yes, don't move the foot for no

Eventually, there was no communication and we were down to biological feedback about biological things. Examples: red face meant either pain or severe constipation; tight abdomen meant constipation; winces meant pain.

Sorry. This is not easy and very sad when this is what you are down to.

I tried to continue my end of the communicating and talking -- until it was obvious that was bothersome. Initially, I would say things like "Oh, I know if you could speak now, you would say that I'm the best daughter out there and you count your lucky stars for me" or "I know if you could write now, you'd be writing your will to give your entire inheritance to me" or "I know if you could speak now, you would be telling me to stop talking so loudly and go away." I tried to keep it light and funny.

I also showed dad one or two photos each time we interacted. I would try to tell a story (hopefully entertaining or funny) about one of the photos.

At some point, dad needed to spend all of his time resting and thinking, so I kept the talking to "I love you" and "You are a great dad."

Hang in there,
Robin
Robin

Postby myownwoman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you, Robin. Phil is way past all your suggestions; the squeeze was that last voluntary movement he could choose do. I think we are getting to "...biological feedback..." too. I did rev-up the Oxygen machine, and am giving him oxygen to see if that - maybe - helps.

God, this is sooooooo hard! It's a good thing I'm not a drink'n woman or I'd be drunk all the time. But, it must be time for a cuppa'... and maybe a chocolate chip cookie.
myownwoman

Postby myownwoman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:45 pm

TI am pleased to report that the switch got flipped back on and the ability to squeeze a response has reappeared.
myownwoman

Return to General PSP Discussion